Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Counting Down the Weeks

It's amazing how quickly time is passing these days! This is the last week of normal classes at Maranatha, and next week is final exam time. On Saturday, Dustin arrives and will be spending nearly three weeks with us. Soon Christmas and New Year will be upon us, and all that is left is Little Malott's arrival.

As you might expect, I'm finding this season of Advent especially meaningful, being "Great with Child" myself. I've been thinking about that summons to Bethlehem, how Mary must have felt - so insignificant and pawn-like, moved about by imperial decrees made half of a world away. I find it difficult to accomplish simple tasks like grading essays or washing laundry, all of which pales in comparison to riding a long ways on a donkey to a town I've never known without even the assurance of a warm bath at the end of the journey. And then, to arrive and give birth in a smelly stable with little help and no epidural! Truly, I've come to appreciate Mary's strength and courage more and more as the days of December slip by and move me closer to my own son's birth. No doubt, the coming years will increase my appreciation for Mary's worries and loss as well!

Merry Christmas to you all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please e-mail me! Thanks. (Bob)