Monday, September 10, 2007

A Name


As I read the Old Testament I am always astounded by how important naming a child was to a parent and a community. And they made sure that name fit and pigeon-holed them for life. Names like "Caused much pain" or "Sadness overflowing" in the Hebrew. These parents seemed to place their hopes, dreams, and a bit of vindication in their childrens' names.


Now Marilee and I are stuck with the demanding task of choosing a name for our little boy, soon to arrive. Both of us love literature so we have tried anything of from Keats to Owen to Lewis. We love theology so Calvin, William, and Wesley have tempted our minds. From the Bible, Aaron and Jude. But do we want to pigeon-hole our child to follow our love of these things (well he better love the Bible!) Pretty much any of these names is going to get him at least a couple of black-eyes on the playground. Perhaps a John or a James would suit better. Maybe we should name him after the dog, Jack (Jack, jr. does sound good). With names like these he could fit in, maybe even navigate life under the radar.


Nah! Marilee and I are self-proclaimed geeks and are infinitely proud of that. I desire a child who is independent, strong, and ok with being different. Lets face it, just by being a Christian he will have plenty of that. I want a son who desires goodness over happiness, who chooses what is right over what is easy. If anyone has found a name that reflects all that and doesn't require clicks to pronounce it let me know. But lets face it, like all children, his name really should be "embarrased by his parents" (in the Hebrew, of course).

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Little Bob!!!

Beal said...

Wesley and Owen are cool, (but Calvin is cooler too)......

Mom said...

Jess and Meem,

I love reading your blog and marvel that I have had something to do with creating someone as articulate and diverse in interests... as for a name, why do we all think we should have such a strong opinion, after all, this is just the first of your parental benefits, YOU GET TO PICK!! That's why Marilee has such a quirky name. I am looking forward to seeing you grow into an incredible parent team, and of course secretly waiting for the "wow, now I understand why you did that moments", love, m

UncleDustin said...

Long as it has personal meaning from something you love you can't go wrong.

Just some off the top of my head that are original and from things i know you guys love.

Col - short for coldplay, which jesse starts every cd off w/. Symbolic for first kid.

Westley - I like the Princess bride version more.

Kurt - The "K" in dwight k shrewt

Calvin - the comic character, take all the wondering out of knowing if he will be a hellraiser

Karamazov - nothing says my parents are smarter then your parents like a child named after this classic

I have a lot more but i don't want to fill up your whole comment page.

Love ya

Pierre said...

I'm still pulling for Gnarls.