Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Strange Encounters


I picked up Marilee from the airport last week; she was returning from Noo Yawk. As we were walking out of the airport, some guy kicked a soccer ball into my pregnant wife's head. Not hard, mind you - merely a glance. She was frustrated and kept walking without any comment. The guy turned around and apologized. Unlike my wife, I recognized this guy from two of my all-time favorite places: Lord of the Rings and the TV show, LOST. It was Dominic Monaghan who played Merry in LOTR and Charlie in LOST. This was the closest I had been to a star that I actually liked (very few fit this list). Star struck as I was, in response to his apology I stammered out, "Anytime!" What an idiot. Of course, when I told Marilee who it was, she completely echoed my response. What a great day, especially for Marilee.


That strange encounter was followed by another one last night as Marilee and I were laying in bed debriefing the day. I always like to keep my hand on her belly just believing that little Malott might know that I was involved in his life too. I mentioned to Marilee that we had not yet felt any kicks and I was beginning to think this little guy was quite the slug bug. Just then under my hand I felt him kick the belly as if to let me know I had overstepped the mark. Great, it looks like I may have a son just like myself - sassy! Lord, help us!

2 comments:

jeremy zach said...

You deserve it! You are getting a soccer player.
That is an awesome story!!!

Unknown said...

That's it. Your boy needs to be named Charlie Pace Malott. Done deal.