Friday, September 28, 2007

Tinsel Town - Pt. 2

Now that I have copies of some of the photos we took while in the Big Apple, I thought I'd update the blog and tell you a bit more about my trip. The idea for the trip came when Mom and I were chatting about our enjoyment of the cheesy reality-TV show "Grease: You're the One that I Want". Each week, Jesse would go practice his guitar and I would sing along to the fifties tunes, voting for Max and Laura. When they won, I half-jokingly said to my mom, "We should go to New York and see the show. Just us girls!" What began as more of a "wouldn't that be fun?" became a reality, and we planned to visit NY, seeing a couple shows on Broadway.


We did see Grease (with Max and Laura), and it was a really fun show. It was different from the John Travolta movie, with songs in a different order and a lot more songs for the supporting cast. The addition of several fifties songs and an outstanding Frankie Avalon-like guardian angel for the "Beauty School Drop-Out" number (he descended from a giant soft-serve ice cream cone!) added to the fun. The audience was very enthusiastic, and the theater was pretty intimate, so there were many factors contributing to our enjoyment of the program. Max did well - though the more humorous guys in the cast tended to steal the audience's attention, but Laura did an excellent job and really showed that she'd deserved the part. All around, a fun time!


The next night we went to the Lion King. I'd heard so many people tell me that they'd loved this show - I had pretty high expectations. Carin had gotten us some great seats in the eighth row on the orchestra floor, and just before the show began the usher ran through, telling me to keep my elbows out of the aisle. No wonder - a giant rhinoceros manned by at least two people came lumbering down the aisle as the music began and the "animals" of Pride Rock welcomed the sunrise. It was truly a magical show - so beautiful in an artistic way that I'd not seen in other Broadway shows. The inclusion of so much African dance and music really made it something more than the Disney film. As we said when we came out of the theater that night: it was like nothing else we'd ever seen.


Well, of course, we did a lot more than see musicals, but if it were up to me and money was no object, I could have stayed for two more weeks and seen all the shows that were playing. Well - maybe not Legally Blonde: The Musical. Even I have my limits. But The Color Purple, Wicked, The Drowsey Chaperone, and many more looked so good, it was hard to walk by. It's probably a good thing that I don't live anywhere near to Broadway - I'd end up spending all my money and time on theater. Truly - this was a vacation to remember!

No comments: